Link Library now supports WordPress 2.1

Yes, I am back from another long phase of no posting. Sorry about that. The end of 2006 was extremely busy with all of my travels in my new position as field application engineer.

The back end of my blog has just been updated to the new version of WordPress (2.1).

For those who are using my link-library plugin for WordPress, you’ll be happy to know that I have just updated it to work with WordPress 2.1. I also added a few parameters to the function to show all the links since they removed these parameters from the WordPress admin interface. I have done some testing on this newly updated site and also got a lot of very helpful feedback from Sarah Liberman (thanks a bunch!).

You can download the newest version of the plugin here. I also updated the usage example to show these new parameters. Let me know if you find any issues.

12 Responses

1. Yseult says:

Hello Yannick,

thanks for the update to WP 2.1.

Good job.

There only is one problem: it seems that you have changed the inner syntax of the parameters in the function to print out the notes with the associated links. But since you don't have a "Read me" file included any more, this is not noted anywhere and if someone is trying to install this, there is no actual parameter explanation anymore (maybe I just didn't find it).

Bottom line: while with the old version the fourth parameter printed out the notes, now it's the fifth. It's only chance I found that out…

You can see it at http://mediaevaliter.com/links

Thanks a lot again.

Y.-

2. Yannick Lefebvre says:

The parameters are documented inside of the link-library.php file itself, starting on line 238. Here is a copy-paste of that text so you can see:

* function get_links_anchor()

* added by Yannick Lefebvre

* Output a list of all links, listed by category, using the

* settings in $wpdb->linkcategories and output it as a nested

* HTML unordered list. Can also insert anchors for categories

* Parameters:

* order (default 'name') – Sort link categories by 'name' or 'id'

* hide_if_empty (default true) – Supress listing empty link categories

* catanchor (default false) – Adds name anchors to categorie links to be able to link directly to categories

* showdescription (default false) – Displays link descriptions. Added for 2.1 since link categories no longer have this setting

* shownotes (default false) – Shows notes in addition to description for links (useful since notes field is larger than description)

* showrating (default false) – Displays link ratings. Added for 2.1 since link categories no longer have this setting

* showupdated (default false) – Displays link updated date. Added for 2.1 since link categories no longer have this setting

* categorylist (default null) – Only show links inside of selected categories. Enter category numbers in a string separated by commas

* showimages (default false) – Displays link images. Added for 2.1 since link categories no longer have this setting

* show_image_and_name (default false) – Show both image and name instead of only one or the other

* use_html_tags (default false) – Use HTML tags for formatting instead of just displaying them

* show_rss (default false) – Display RSS URI if available in link description

* beforenote (default ) – Code to print out between the description and notes

3. Kathy` says:

Yannick,

I have tried to email you and your emails keep bouncing. Tried with 2 different email addresses. This is the error I get:

Technical details of permanent failure:

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550-ug-out-1314.google.com [66.249.92.172] is currently not permitted to relay

550-through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server

550-in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your

550 email client.

I am having problems with the plugin that are too complicated to go into the details here. Could you email me from another email address perhaps? If not I will put the whole problem in your comments.

4. Yannick Lefebvre says:

Hi Kathy,

Sorry about that. There was a problem with my nayanna.biz e-mail. I don't use it a lot so I did not notice. You can try to mail me again.

Yannick

5. Jan says:

Hi Yannick

Will you ever make the plugin, so it can validate?

6. Yannick Lefebvre says:

After clarifying with Jan, what he meant was W3C XHTML validation. I am working on finalizing a new version of my plugin that will validate as well as add a few new features.

7. Mike says:

What am I doing wrong?

On my Link Library page the sidebars are pushed to the bottom of the page. I've tried with several themes.

Please help!

Mike

8. Yannick Lefebvre says:

Your sidebar code is in the wrong place. If you move it to the top, on the line right after the content div id, then it will show up in the right place. It is currently outside the main content div, thus shown below that division.

Hope that helps.

9. Mike says:

Thanks. The links page is better than before. However the page now disappears under the right sidebar.

10. Yannick Lefebvre says:

Sorry, but I'm no HTML expert. My plugin seems to be behaving correctly but there is something else in your page's code that's not working right. I can suggest posting your question on the WordPress forums or perhaps on a more general HTML forum for help.

11. Gabriel says:

Yannick,

Thanks so much for this plugin! I just started writing this exact same kind of functionality myself before I found your plugin, and your code did just what I was looking for!

One suggestion I would make for a future release would be making the before and after HTML configurable in the parameters for calling the plugin function, so that people don't have to edit the code of the plugin, if, for example, they want a after the link name separating it from the description.

Thanks again,

Gabriel

1. August 2, 2007

[…] author’s latest post about WordPress 2.1 support: Link Library now supports WordPress 2.1 Technorati Tags: Design Development Open Source Projects Reviews Tools wordpress You can leave a […]